DIY PVC Bike Rack

13 May

I was tired of the bike and scooter mess in my third garage.  I had been shopping around to see if there was any kind of small bike rack I could use in my garage, but they were a little out of my price range.  So, I searched on the internet some, and came across a few plans to make a bike rack out of PVC pipe.  I recently used PVC pipe for a sign project for Bountiful Baskets, and it was really easy to work with, so I decided to give it a try.

I used these sites to help with my plans: Project #4 – DIY Bike Rack Made from PVC Pipe, Make your own Bike Rack, and PVC Bike Rack

My supplies that I purchased at Lowe’s:

40′ of 3/4″ Schedule 40 PVC pipe, cost $8.12 for 4 10′ sections of pipe
34 Tees, cost $8.74 for 3 10 count bags and 4 single tees
6 90 degree elbows, cost $1.86

Total = $18.72, plus tax

You may opt to use PVC cement to hold it together, but I did not use any at this point.  It is staying together well, plus, I want the option to adjust, add, or take away as we get new scooters or bikes.

You also will need a way to cut the pipe.  There is a pipe cutting tool available, shown below.  This one was $9.97 at Lowe’s.  I bought it, but will probably return it since I was able to use my tree cutting tool, also shown below, with success.  You can also use a small hacksaw to cut the pipe.

How you cut your pipe will depend how many items you want to store, and on the size your bike tires and scooters.  For the scooters, I made it wide enough so most of the scooter could fit in.  For the bikes, they have 2″ wide tires, so I cut the pipe to have a 2″ wide section in those parts.  Here is a picture with my dimensions:

I ended up with the following:

20 8″ sections
10 12″ sections
12 10″ sections
3 5″ sections
6 3.5″ sections
6 1.5″ sections’

If you decide to use 1″ PVC pipe instead of 3/4″ PVC pipe, you may need to adjust the measurements slightly, and the cost will be a little higher, but shouldn’t be too much more.

This was a really fun project for me.  It took a little trial and error to get the openings the right size, but after that, it went pretty smoothly.  This turned out to be the perfect size for the opening of my third garage, so we can easily open up the garage and get the bikes and scooters out right away.  I also made sure to get my kids involved.  My older daughter counted out the number of tees and elbows from the plans I drew up, then both my daughters helped me count out the items we needed at the store.  I did all the cutting, but they were able to help with the assembly.  I have found some other neat PVC ideas online, so we may be doing more projects like this in the future!

About these ads

11 Responses to “DIY PVC Bike Rack”

1. Jenn May 13, 2012 at 9:52 am #

I’m quite impressed but not surprised, Ms. Engineer! :)

2. Kristen - www.HostesswiththeMotzes.com May 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks for the mention! Love how yours turned out.

• Jenny July 26, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

You’re welcome! Thank you for the inspiration!

3. Jacque March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Great bike rack! Just a tip from a fellow DIYer. Electrical PVC is the exact same material. It’s grey and runs about 20% cheaper. It’s doesn’t make a huge dent in a small project, but can save you a pretty penny if you re-do your sprinklers.

4. Brittany Daw June 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this. We just finished making one. In all (from buying to putting up) it took us probably 1 1/2 hours (if that). Only cost me 30$ and I was able to put three scooters and four bikes in it. Thank you! I am pinning this for others!

• Jenny June 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Awesome! Glad to hear this helped! I know mine has helped keep my garage a little less crazy!

• Kelley July 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Just made this bike rack for my bigger kids’ 6 bikes. You gave just the right info — thank you for taking the time to post. Great plans. Very helpful!

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny July 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

Kelley – You are welcome! So glad to hear that it this was helpful!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PVC Bike and Kid Wash | My Gems of Parenting - November 20, 2013

[…] been a while since I made this, but I wanted to make sure to still share it.  After making the PVC bike rack, which has been awesome to have in the garage to keep the bikes organized, I wanted to make […]

What do you think? Please note all comments are moderated and may not appear immediately.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 418 other followers